I see a Current Balance due. Do I owe money?
On your Payments page, you’ll see a large number written at the top of the page. This number is your “Due Today” balance, and it reflects the difference between all of the Bills and all of the Payments.
If this is a negative number, such as “-$100.00”, it means you have currently paid $100.00 more than your landlord has billed you for as of today.
Common reasons for a negative ‘Due Today’ balance:
- You paid rent early, and the next bill simply isn’t due yet.
- Your landlord gave you a credit that has not yet been applied.
- You overpaid, or sent a payment that was not necessary.
- You made a payment that your landlord requested, but your landlord has not added a bill yet in Cozy.
If this is a positive number, such as “$100.00”, it means you have currently paid $100.00 less than your landlord has billed you for.
Common reasons for a positive due today:
- Your landlord added a bill that you have not paid yet.
- You paid your landlord outside of Cozy, and they have not recorded that payment yet.
- You paid less than you were billed for.
- You received a late fee and did not adjust your payment to cover the extra amount.
If you have a positive ‘Due Today’ balance and you do actually need to pay more, you can make a one-time payment at any time.
The Due Today balance is wrong. How do I fix this?
If you believe that the ‘Due Today’ number is wrong, you’ll want to contact your landlord directly. Only your landlord can add or remove bills, credits, or offline payments, so they’re your best bet. If your landlord isn’t sure why the balance the way it is, they can contact Cozy's support team for help.
If you believe that you have paid more than you needed to, you’ll want to ask your landlord how they’d like to resolve this. They may refund you outside of Cozy, allow you to adjust your next payment to be less, or another option entirely.