Guide to online rent collection
Cozy's secure online rent collection ensures you get paid on time without the hassle of paper checks.
In this article
- How to collect payment through Cozy
- What's Cozy like for renters?
- How to check if your renter is ready to pay
- How to check the status of a payment
- Learn more
How to collect payment through Cozy
You can set up an online rent collection in just a few minutes. You’ll need your renter’s email address and the details of the checking account where you’d like to accept payments. Once you've added a property to Cozy, visit the Payments tab and click "Set Up Rent Collection." Here, you'll add details like the lease start date, your renter's name and email, the rent amount and due date, whether you'd like to collect a security deposit or configure a late fee, and the checking account where you'd like to receive payments. In the last step, click "Confirm and Invite." Cozy will email your renter(s) and guide them with getting started and setting up their payments.
See the whole process in this two minute video:
What's Cozy like for renters?
It's easy for renters to set up payments. Once you add them to the rent collection, we'll send them an invitation email and walk them through these steps.
Renters can send free payments with their checking account (ACH transfer), or with their credit or debit card for which will incur a 2.75% transaction fee.
Share this 1-page guide with your renters to introduce Cozy and answer commonly asked questions: Renter welcome guide.
If your renters have any questions, we have a great Help Center where they can find answers on how Cozy works!
How to check if your renter is ready to pay
After you've set up a rent collection, check if your renter is ready to pay from the Tenants tab of the ledger. Visit Payments from your main menu, and then click the address of the unit you'd like to check. From there, click the Tenants tab to see your renter's setup status.
Here, we'll show if your renter is "Ready to pay" or "Not ready to pay."
- A renter is "Not ready to pay" if they haven't accepted your invitation to pay on Cozy, or if they haven't verified their bank account.
The card below shows a renter who hasn't accepted the invitation to pay through Cozy:
You can resend your renter's invitation if they haven’t joined Cozy or if they're unable to see the invitation email.
Here is an example of a renter who still needs to verify their checking account:
Renters paying with their checking account must verify the account before their payment is sent to you. Learn more about the verification process here.
- A renter is "Ready to pay" when they've joined the rent collection and have set up at least one payment method.
Here is an example of a renter who has added their payment method to Cozy and has scheduled payments:
Here is an example of a renter who has added their payment method to Cozy, but has not scheduled payments.
How to check the status of a payment
- Bills: These are charges from the landlord which informs renters about how much they owe and when their payments are due.
- Payments: These are pre-authorized transactions from your renter which means money will be sent (or has been sent already).
- Scheduled: Your renter's payment is scheduled to start sending on an upcoming date. If your renter just scheduled a payment for today, it'll be listed as "Upcoming" for a few hours before it begins processing.
- In-progress: Your renter's payment is currently processing. You can click on a particular payment to expand it and view the estimated arrival date to your bank account.
- Sent: Your renter's payment has finished posting to your bank.
See an example of the invite email we send renters.
If your renter pays you outside of Cozy, you can record that offline payment to balance the ledger.
You can update the rent collection dates if a renter renews their lease.
You can get paid faster with Express Payouts.